The history of Vacheron Constantin watches

Vacheron Constantin watches

The Vacheron family had been watchmakers in Geneva since 1755, but when they encountered difficulties during the French Revolution, they decided to look for a partner. In 1819, Jean-Marc Vacheron and François Constantin met and founded the “Vacheron Constantin” brand, symbolised by the famous Maltese cross. The alliance was founded on precision and advanced technology.

In 1839, the engineer Georges Leschot joined the firm and revolutionised watchmaking techniques, making Vacheron Constantin a fully-fledged manufacturer of quality watches.

In 1855, to mark its first century, its workshops developed the winding crown to replace the key.

The first Vacheron Constantin wristwatch was launched in 1889.

At the end of the First World War, the firm became the supplier to the US Army in Europe.

In 1994, a limited edition series paying tribute to the mapmaker Mercator proved very popular.

The Richemont group bought the brand in 1996, the same year the Overseas sports line was launched.

Are you looking for a particular item?
Get an alert as soon as it's available.
Set up an alert