The history of TAG Heuer watches

TAG Heuer watches

The young Swiss watch maker, Edouard Heuer, founded his own workshop, Edouard Heuer & Cie, in 1860 in St Imier, Switzerland. Edouard had a real obsession: to control time and to use complex mechanical devices to measure the tiniest fractions of this mysterious and magical dimension.

The Time of Trip was released in 1911, the first dashboard chronograph which was a huge success.

The Micrograph appeared in 1916. It was the first chronograph capable of measuring time to a 1/100th of a second.

The Autavia chronograph was launched in 1933. It was a timepiece designed both for car drivers (AUT) and pilots (AVIA).

1964 saw the launch of the Carrera chronograph in honour of the Carrera Panamericana road race.

The Monaco chronograph appeared in 1969 and was famous for its square case. It was reissued in 1998.

In 1985, Heuer joined the Tag (Technique d’avant garde) group, a company that specialised in cutting-edge technology and owner of a Formula One team. The company was then renamed TAG Heuer and became a subsidiary of the TAG Group.

From 1989, the brand began investing in sporting competitions and TAG Heuer became the official timekeeper to the world Alpine ski championships in the United States and Canada. In 1991, the brand added the Indianapolis Grand Prix to its list of prizes and in 1992, the World Formula One championship.

TAG Heuer has been one of the world leaders in prestige sports watches since 2001 and its watches are worn by enthusiasts throughout the world.

Are you looking for a particular item?
Get an alert as soon as it's available.
Set up an alert